Friday, October 1, 2010

David Letterman in conversation with Jon Stewart compares Glenn Beck to Bobby Heenan

VIDEO: Jon Stewart on The Late Show
with David Letterman (Sept 29, 2010)
David Letterman and Jon Stewart have used the wrestling analogy to describe American Punditry more than once. So it's no surprise to see Letteman make this comparison between Glenn Beck and Bobby "The Brain" Heenan. What it does show is that Letterman has put some thought to the analogy and that he knows his wrestling.
Jon Stewart on The Late Show with David Letterman (Sept 29, 2010)
DAVID LETTERMAN: ... I finally figured out who Glenn Beck is, he's Bobby Heenan. Do you remember Bobby Heenan?
JON STEWART: Bobby Heenan, the wrestling manager!
LETTERMAN: That's right. That's exactly who Glenn Beck is.
STEWART: Bobby Heenan?
LETTERMAN: Bobby Heenan. Yes. He's just looking to make trouble. He has no idea what he's talking about. He just wants trouble.
Find previous occasions where Letterman and Stewart have used the wrestling analogy here:
Glenn Beck discussed this exchange between Stewart and Letterman with radio co-host Pat Gray on 'The Glenn Beck Program'
Jon Stewart hearts Glenn
PAT: The reference to Bobby Heenan or whatever, whoever he's talking about there is a really good reason not to go on Letterman's irrelevant show. Nobody knows who Bobby Heenan is.

GLENN: Doesn't matter. Look, David Letterman, you know, he doesn't believe, I believe, in anything I say. I don't believe in the things that he believes in.
PAT: Yeah.

GLENN: You know, why would I go there?
PAT: It's a useless exercise.
GLENN: I don't believe
PAT: In futility.

GLENN: Yeah, I don't believe in boycotting anything. I just believe in this: I spend my money and my time in things that I believe in. I don't believe in David Letterman. David Letterman does what David Letterman does. He's funny sometimes, he's I don't know honestly, David, I don't know how you do it every day. I don't know how you are still doing the top 10 and you don't think, really? Again? I'm doing this? I mean, I don't know how you do that...
What is most astonishing about this exchange is that Glenn Beck's showmanship and craft is seemingly not informed through a boyhood interest in wrestling. I hope someone will one day get a chance to ask if Beck ever watched wrestling as a kid. Not knowing who Bobby Heenan offers some clue to the negative.

To enlighten Pat Gray and Glenn Beck, here is a sample of Bobby "The Brain" Heenan's work
VIDEO: Bobby Heenan Angry with Andre the Giant
To be honest I actually don't see the Heenan/Beck comparison. The one I used was an amalgam of Stone Cold Steve Austin, Doink The Clown and Edge and Chris Jericho.

According to David Letterman, Glenn Beck is Bobby "The Brain" Heenan

No comments: