Friday, September 4, 2009

Bill Maher: Michael Jackson IS America (Fragile, overindulgent, childish, in debt, on drugs and over the hill)

Almost 2 months after his passing, the 'King of Pop' Michael Jackson still remains a constant in the international news cycle. In light of this I'd like to relive Bill Maher's memorable monologue deconstructing America's fascination with the tragic music icon.

VIDEO: Michael Jackson is America (July 17, 2009)
BILL MAHER: Why? Why did America lose its collective sh*t over Michael Jackson? And then like Michael’s father Joe, it hit me - Michael Jackson is America! We love him so much because he reflects our nation perfectly: Fragile, Overindulgent, Childish, In debt, on drugs, and Over the Hill. Now let me state clearly I don’t wish my country was all of these bad things. I just don’t want to be one of those people Michael Jackson had around him that just tell you you’re great and that your destructive behavior is totally normal and that just give you whatever you want — like doctors...

And finally, is America over the hill? I don’t know. I hope not. But Monday is the 40th anniversary of Neil Armstrong setting foot on the moon. I can’t think of any ambitious goal we’ve reached since then. It’s sad when your peak is a moonwalk that occurred decades ago. So America faces a choice. We can go the Michael route and keep living on debt and the world’s affection for our early work or we can get our sh*t together like Britney Spears, put on our circus costume, and go out and show the world that we’ve still got it!
Read conservative support for Bill Maher's clever Michael Jackson analogy to critique America - HBO: Bill Maher’s redemptive moments

No comments: