Friday, March 13, 2009

Rachel Maddow, Meghan McCain and Ann Coulter

Meghan McCain, daughter of estranged "independent" Republican and 2008 GOP Presidential nominee John McCain has picked a fight with the fearless Ann Coulter. Writing for the Daily Beast, Meghan writes:
My Beef With Ann Coulter by Meghan McCain
Coulter could be the poster woman for the most extreme side of the Republican Party. And in some ways I could be the poster woman for the opposite. I consider myself a progressive Republican, but here is what I don’t get about Coulter: Is she for real or not? Are some of her statements just gimmicks to gain publicity for her books or does she actually believe the things she says?...

More so than my ideological differences with Ann Coulter, I don’t like her demeanor. I have never been a person who was attracted to hate or negativity... But controversy sells and Coulter is nothing if not controversial. Everything about her is extreme: her voice, her interview tactics, and especially the public statements she makes about liberals. Maybe her popularity stems from the fact that watching her is sometimes like watching a train wreck...

Video: Rachel Maddow talks to Meghan McCain

Read Rachel's wrestling style setup
The Rachel Maddow Show - Wednesday, March 11
MADDOW: John McCain‘s daughter, Meghan McCain stepped into the political pundits Thunderdome this week when she took some shots at a person named Ann Coulter. Guess who inherited the maverick gene? Meghan McCain joins us next—my first ever McCain interview...

Meghan McCain talks about the chain of events she's set off with Ann Coulter
MADDOW: ...it must have been and it must continue to be hard to see your dad criticized, especially with the sort of gloves off criticism that you get in a presidential campaign. But yet, in your career, you‘re picking a fight with Ann Coulter. I wonder if your reaction to seeing your dad in the arena, in the political arena in that way made you sort of want to be the one having those fights yourself—because you picked a fight with somebody who‘s definitely going to fight back.

MCCAIN: Yes. Well, if it was, you know, if it was too hot in the kitchen, I‘d get out. I know what I‘m doing. And I know that I‘m creating she probably will respond. She already has. But I‘m sure she‘ll respond harder...

No comments: