Thursday, January 1, 2009

Barack the 'Magic Negro: Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and Barack Obama

Influential talker Rush Limbaugh is a master at getting mileage from controversial statements that are sourced and do damage to his ideological opponents (usually liberals). It's effectively a two-fer, it allows him to amplify criticism of a liberal whilst giving him the cover of blaming someone else for being the original source.

The latest episodes is the Barack Obama parody song "Barack the 'Magic Negro" by frequent Rush Limbaugh music contributor Paul Shanklin. The song title and premise originates from an LA Times piece written March 19, 2007.
Obama the 'Magic Negro' by David Ehrenstein
...Like a comic-book superhero, Obama is there to help, out of the sheer goodness of a heart we need not know or understand. For as with all Magic Negroes, the less real he seems, the more desirable he becomes. If he were real, white America couldn't project all its fantasies of curative black benevolence on him...


Rush credits Barack's maturity and sense of humour in laughing off the parody
Obama Displays Maturity, Laughs Off "Barack the 'Magic Negro'" Song
OBAMA: (Laughing.) You know, I have not heard it but I've heard of it. I confess that I don't listen to Rush on a daily basis. On the other hand, I'm not one of these people who -- who takes myself so seriously that I get offended by -- by every -- every comment made about me. You know, the -- you know, what Rush does is entertainment, and although it's probably not something that I listen to much, I don't...

RUSH: Barack Obama. That's right, Barack Obama laughed it off. He laughed it off. He said I'm an entertainer, and he doesn't mind being made fun of, poking fun at him. That's part of the job... there's a reason he's laughing it off. A, it's funny. B, the roots of it is the Los Angeles Times. C, there's nothing to accomplish by doing something other than this...


Bill O'Reilly hosts a discussion regarding the parody song controversy
'Barack The Magic Negro' Will Offend "SOME" People! Bill O'Reilly

No comments: