Thursday, January 17, 2008

FAQ: What is Pundit Fighting all about?

I often get emails asking me what American Pundit Fighting is all about. "I like the characters? Are they suppose to fight? Is this a game?" I suspect most of the confusion comes from the MySpace Page. For the benefit of everyone involved here are is a quick rundown.

What is the site about?
The site is about Politics and Punditry. People sometimes characterise partisan politics as a 'horse race', I've always found that comparison one-dimensional. I see it more as a popularity contest, where intangibles like charisma, aura and ideology come into play. I use wrestling as an analogy to illustrate this.
Click here for a quick rundown of the site

Who is the site for?
The site is for everybody! You don't have to know anything about politics and you don't have to know anything about wrestling. A passing knowledge of both might make it more accessible but its not necessary. I don't assume any foreknowledge on the part of the reader so I make a point of providing links, resources and video whenever possible. If my mum can make sense of it, this site has done its job.

What's with the characters and animations?
I'm a graphic designer by day. The site for all intents and purposes could survive without the characters or animations. However as I'm equipped to and enjoy making graphics I use them in place of stock images. The Myspace page is a rarely updated resource page that provides a rundown on all the pundits I may mention on this blog.

The APF is a way of showcasing my writing as well as my illustration and animation skills. I would love for the characters to be used for the purposes of a game and one day I hope to make an animation of the characters wrestling each other. But at this stage they are peripheral goals, the bread and butter of the site is the writing.
Click here for all the art

Where should I start?
I touch on issues of presentation in politics and punditry. Because the themes I discuss are generic and universal, they are not tethered to a time or event. The columns I write should remain relevant no matter how far removed they are from the time I write it to when you read it. I would encourage you to read through the archives. You can begin with some of my favourite posts here:
- Aura
- Kayfabe and Bill O'Reilly
- Heels and Ann Coulter

No comments: